Tabletop makeover

Well kids, that was a long and not always pleasant/easy month… but I am still here and have some fun things to share with you!

A couple years ago, when we first moved into this (rental) house, I shared a great curb find: a table and chair set we found in the apartment complex parking lot! I made new seat covers for the chairs, and it looked and functioned well for awhile.

Original Table | VFC Style

Then the plastic covering on the top started peeling off, and one night I may have actually peeled it off on purpose (using a hot hair dryer on the stubborn parts to loosen the glue), and then I had a bare-naked tabletop made of cheap pressboard, so then Greg decided it was finally time to make that harvest-style tabletop I’d been wanting:

New tabletop construction | VFC Style

New tabletop construction | VFC Style

New tabletop construction | VFC Style

Once it was built, I had a little trouble with the finishing products… apparently I am not patient enough to let them dry properly (WHO KNEW??) and I had to have Greg sand the whole thing back down and try again. But it was totally worth it… I used Minwax wood stain in Provincial Pine and then the accompanying Minwax polyurethane in clear satin. Both excellent products when you… ahem… follow the directions.

Here is how it turned out:

Harvest top table | VFC Style

Harvest top table | VFC Style

Harvest top table | VFC Style

 

Rather beautiful, I would say! And huge – it’s 3 x 5 feet of “real estate.” I’m sooo happy this is my table!

Harvest top table | VFC Style

 

Please share this post!
This entry was posted in Decorating. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *